Proudly serving the Wausau community, our methadone clinic provides adults struggling with addiction the ability to recover from heroin, oxycodone, Percocet, and other opiates.
What is Purpose of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse?
The complexities of an addiction cannot be solved with a simplistic solution.
Those addicted to opioids must receive treatment for the physical and psychological aspects of addiction in order for treatment to truly be effective. By incorporating group therapy into a patient’s comprehensive treatment plan, individuals can receive the emotional support required to achieve long-lasting recovery.
Group therapy is a therapeutic intervention in which multiple patients come together with other patients who are also obtaining treatment for their addictions to opioids. These counselor-led sessions allow patients to gain support and insight from others who understand the complexities of addiction and recovery. Typically, sessions involve one counselor working with a small group of individuals; however, some group therapy sessions will utilize multiple counselors for a larger group of participants.
Like individual therapy, the goal of group therapy is to recognize and deal with both the emotional and behavioral motivators that may have contributed to an individual’s addiction in the first place. Since external stimuli, such as self-esteem issues, trauma, abuse, stress, and psychological disorders, can impact an individual’s decision to turn to opioids, it is important to provide patients with a forum to delve into and work through these issues so they are able to progress towards recovery.
Group therapy is only as effective as the counselor leading the sessions, as well as the patients involved. Because of this, it is extremely imperative that patients openly communicate and share their experiences related to the counselor-led discussions that are presented to them. The following are among the ultimate goals and values associated with group therapy:
- Universality– Aiding in relieving the feeling of seclusion by highlighting the commonality of emotions and experiences that are and have taken place amongst members of the group
- Self-understanding– Achieving insight into one’s own problems by listening to other group members openly communicate their progression and obstacles
- Interpersonal learning– Learning from the insights and experiences of other group members, while being able to openly communicate one’s own emotions and perceptions
- Altruism– Experiencing the importance of aiding in the advancement of the lives of others
- Hope– Realizing that other group members may have already surpassed difficulties that one may currently be struggling with
- Information– Obtaining more information about the disease of addiction, as well as the recovery process
- Imitative behavior– Acquiring new abilities and approaches by noting the positive behaviors of both the counselor and other members in the group
- Cohesiveness– Feeling a sense of fitting in and support through openly sharing in the therapeutic experience with other patients
- Catharsis– Experiencing a sense of reprieve from feelings of guilt or shame through openly discussing one’s setbacks with others
Objectives of Group Therapy for Opioid Abuse
Wausau Comprehensive Treatment Center understands the importance of providing patients with a therapeutic outlet in which to safely communicate their struggles with others who genuinely understand the process of recovery. By bringing patients and counselors together to productively move forward together toward recovery, patients obtain the support and encouragement required to achieve their treatment goals. Group therapy provides patients with the information, guidance, and support necessary in order to successfully continue moving forward in the recovery process.
Although there is no singular therapeutic intervention or medication that will solely cure an addiction, the elements provided in group therapy provide patients with the building blocks necessary to leave their addictions in the past.
If you or someone you love would benefit from group therapy, as well as the other treatment options available at Wausau Comprehensive Treatment Center, please contact our knowledgeable intake team today.